Thanks to everyone who attended our mobile commerce event last Monday. Apologies to most of you - who we had to turn away once all the passes were quickly claimed.
Our panel represented 4 key segments of the mobile commerce ecosystem. It was moderated by someone who’s been helping drive ecosystem innovation since before most of us started dreaming about the revolution sparked when mobile tech entered the realm of bricks-and-mortar commerce.
Participating in the discussion:
- Spencer Spinnell (Director of Emerging Platforms, Google / Google Wallet)
- Jacob Styburski (Director of Product Management, American Express / Serve)
- Jonty Kelt (CEO, Group Commerce)
- Mike Brody (Co-founder, Payfone)
- Mike Garelik - moderator (Continuous Commerce)
Here’s my attempt to extract a few salient points from the evening:
- Mobile Monday New York members are (really) excited about Google Wallet - what it means for the industry and about being able to give it a try.
- If you’re a developer and want to get involved in mobile commerce, think about the gaps you could bridge. Jonty from Group Commerce said, on average, consumer mobile visits to his deals network are 4x longer, but mobile conversion percentages are significantly lower than desktop.
- While at Citigroup, Mike Garelik built my personal favorite early market trial - with the MTA / NYC subway! Mike’s knowledge of - and often involvement with - key implementations and players knit our diverse panel together for energetic conversation and spirited debate.
- Mike Brody thinks carrier-billed payments (including those enabled by Payfone) will be big in the US, and even more important in markets where consumer banking and credit are less pervasive.
- At the same time as it innovates, seemingly much quicker than competitors, American Express maintains a clear and strong commitment to security. In other markets, seemingly heavy-handed security policies can be a barrier to innovation. In mobile commerce, it’s an enabler.
Thanks to our sponsors - Google Wallet, Payfone, Group Commerce, and Blue Point Brewing - for hosting the event and providing the food and drink.